Ginger is a best Home remedy. Ginger was widely used by the ancient Romans and it was a very expensive spice, one pound of ginger was equivalent to the price of a whole sheep. Ginger almost became lost in history after the fall of the Roman empire but became popular again when Europe re-discovered it. Ginger has influenced the history of man since ancient China, wars were waged and entire dynasties rose and fell with the objective of seizing it. The trade of such spices were the root of the world’s economy for centuries.
- The ginger root is not actually a root, but a rhizome.
- The major producers of Ginger today are China and tropical/subtropical places in Asia, Brazil, Jamaica, Nigeria.
- The health benefits of honey and ginger in treating respiratory problems are unmatched by any other concoction.
- The ginger plant is approximately 30 – 60 cm tall and is extremely rare to find in the wild.
Even today Ginger is one of the most important spices world wide.
Home Remedies with Ginger
- Mix 6 tsp of ginger powder with 6 tsp of caraway seeds and 3 tsp of black pepper. ½ tsp of this mixture taken twice a day is beneficial.
- Mix ½ tsp of ginger powder with ½ tsp of turmeric and 1 tbsp of honey. Take twice a day.
- Take 1 tsp of ginger juice mixed with 1 tsp honey 2–3 times a day.
- Boil 1 tbsp chopped ginger in 1 cup water. Strain and add sugar or honey. Drink warm.
Loss of appetite
- Put 5 tbsp of chopped, fresh ginger in a glass jar. Cover ginger with lemon juice; add a pinch of salt and 1tbsp of cumin seeds. Put jar in the sun for 2 days in summer, or 3–5 days in winter. Eat ½ tsp before meals.
- Mix ½ tsp of ginger juice, 1 tsp of lime-juice, 1 tsp of mint juice and 1 tbsp of honey. Take twice a day.
- Boil 1 tsp of chopped ginger in 1 cup of water; add a pinch of salt and drink.
Joint Pain, constipation, Nervous debility
- Drink warm water mixed with ½ tsp of ginger powder and ½ tsp of turmeric.
Fresh or powdered ginger is used in many recipes. In addition to flavouring vegetables, soups, pickles and chutneys it can be used in cakes, biscuits and drinks. To make a rice dish seasoned with ginger, cook 1 cup of rice. Put the cooked rice in a dish and add around 2tbsp of butter or ghee and 1 tsp of salt. Mix and cool the rice. Before serving, mix through 1¼ cups of natural yoghurt and 1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh ginger.